Thursday, January 24, 2008

Drive while you can

Max tells me
"drive while you can"
after he tells me he's seen my van
parked at the yoga studio dayafterdayafterday.

It is probably six blocks away from my bed,
the studio,
just far enough to fire an engine and bring
some pistons
an air filter
exhaust
transmission
ball bearings
brakes
and the like

to life.

With what?

OIL, of course.
Marvelous, wondrous, viscous
OIL


I love it, when it comes in convenient packages, like lip balm
lotion
even clothes,
like fleece.

You know we are surrounded by oil
products derived from oil
from shoes to flooring
we would be
could be
nearly naked
without it.

OIL
OBSESSION

Start the car
heat the house
wash the clothes
fuel the factories
the food
the farms
even

until it's all gone
or too expensive to buy
to drive six blocks when
you could walk
or ride
a bike

BIKE
OBSESSION

coming soon.

But for now, Max says
"drive while you can."

So, anyone want a ride?

No comments: