Thursday, January 24, 2008

static

Does the fact that I started listening to commercial radio
mean I'm brain dead
or wanting to be brain dead?

It all started when I became a commuter this year
in my mini van
with an old cassette player
and not much else

I ALWAYS listen to KDNK
public radio
community access
volunteer deejays
National Public Radio news
All Things Considered
Democracy Now
All that shit
on the "far left" of the dial
in all ways
I love it
I went to Washington D.C.
because of it
to protest the war
because I heard the voices
the stories
the madness of it all

everyday
in the morning
afternoon
and night

public radio and me


Then I started driving
I got impatient
distracted
unconcerned with anything outside
my bubble
Amy Goodman's "War and Peace report" made me want to scream
it doesn't go with driving
up and down valley

and

I wanted to sing along
as loud as I could


So I changed the channel
seek-seek-seek-seek
KCUF, KAJX, KJYE, KKCH "The Choice",
KMTS, KSNO, KSPN,
Jack FM "We Play What WE Want"

What what what

Two of hearts Two hearts that beat as one Two of hearts I need you, I need you...
You got the right stuff, baby, Love the way you turn me on
Chaka, Chaka, Chaka, Chaka Khan Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan Chaka Khan,
let me rock youLet me rock you
Drinking my vodka and lime, I look around,
Leaves are brown, And the sky is a hazy shade of winter.
Sweet dreams are made of this Who am I to disagree? I travel the world And the seven seas--Everybody's looking for something.
Anything you want You got it Anything you need You got it Anything at all You got it Baby
People are people so why should it be You and I should get along so awfully So we're different colours And we're different creeds And different people have different needs It's obvious you hate me Though I've done nothing wrong I never even met you So what could I have done I can't understand What makes a man Hate another man Help me understand
Oh no We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue And then we'll take it higher Oh
Six o' clock already I was just in the middle of a dream I was kissin' Valentino By a crystal blue Italian stream But I can't be late Cause then I guess I just won't get paid These are the days When you wish your bed was already made It's just another manic Monday
She's got a smile that it seems to me Reminds me of childhood memories Where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky Now and then when I see her face She takes me away to that special place And if I stared too long I'd probably break down and cry
Sweet child o' mine Sweet love of mine
Burning the ground I break from the crowd I'm on the hunt I'm after you I smell like I sound I'm lost and I'm found and I'm hungry like the wolf
Come over here All you got is this moment The twenty-first century's yesterday You can care all you want Everybody does yeah that's okay So slide over here And give me a moment Your moves are so raw I've got to let you know I've got to let you know You're one of my kind
My my my music hits me so hard Makes me say "Oh my Lord" Thank you for blessing me With a mind to rhyme and two hype feet It feels good when you know you're down A super dope homeboy from the Oaktown And I'm known as such And this is a beat uh you can't touch
I swear I won't tease you Won't tell you no lies I don't need no bible Just look in my eyes I've waited so long baby Now that we're friends Every man's got his patience And here's where my ends I want your sex
I want your.....sex


noise noise noise

fills up the empty space and I sing along at the top of my lungs.
I seek.
I scan.
I avoid all I can: the commercials, the news, the world wide web of problems and bombings and recessions and foreclosures and death and dying and liars and leaders and injustice and hope and conservative talk show hosts.

Commercial radio numbs the brain with constant noise
but its got a beat

"We can dance if you want to," he sings. " We can leave your friends behind cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance well they're no friends of mine..."

It makes you want to dance
and sing
instead of
rage
against
the
machine.

Doo-wap a doo-wap

Welcome to the jungle, baby
Watch it bring you to your shun n,n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,n,,n,n,,n
knees,
knees

I wanna watch you bleed.

No comments: